Saturday, July 25, 2009

Kimber Chin Guest Posting "Love At 1st Sight"


"Love At First Sight"

We all know the set up. Sexy hot vampire gets a whiff of spunky human's scent. He knows instantly… she is his chosen one, the woman he is meant to spend eternity with. He will never love another.

Some readers and writers have a problem with this. Usually because they don't believe in love at first sight.

I used to be one of those readers.

My buddy and I had a running debate. She felt that people fell in love at first sight and that if you were to love someone, you just knew. I thought that was a load of steaming hot hooey. Love was based on common traits and values that could only be uncovered over time. It was a serious relationship that one should ease into.

Turns out…
She fell in love with a friend we both knew forever (as in we used to carry him home dead drunk from university parties forever). I fell in love at first sight.

I know, I know, I didn't believe in the concept either. I was jaded and cynical, a child of a very abusive and unhealthy marriage. No way was I going to risk my heart on a simple look.

No way was I going to risk my heart AT ALL.

The day I met my hubby, I told one of my best friends, Raybie, I was off relationships for life. (Yes, he is male – I wasn't a man hater, more like a relationship hater) I planned to travel the world and never have to worry about another living soul. At the age of twenty-two, I had only allowed four guys to kiss me (two of those guys were allowed to kiss me more than once). That was enough for me.

When my future hubby, a good friend of Ray's, entered the room, he commented on how thirsty he was. "You're thirsty?" I asked this complete stranger "Do you like orange juice?"

"I LOVE orange juice," the handsome man replied, his brown eyes lighting up.

"Oh," I curled my top lip with derision, "that's nice." And I went back to playing video games.

My friend, Ray, was appalled. My hubby was captivated.

I don't know why I asked if he liked orange juice. I'm not a fan of the stuff myself. He, however, loves orange juice. It is his favorite beverage.

I don't know why I was so rude to him. I pride myself on being quite polite.

I certainly don't know why when our eyes met that first time, I knew he was the man for me. He wasn't my type (never dated Asian before) but there was no doubt. I knew. Turns out, he felt the same thing.

I wasn't an idiot. Although I told all my buddies the next day that I met the man I was going to marry, it took the hubby five years to achieve that destined result. We've now been in love for sixteen wonderful years. When his eye catches mine across a crowded room, I still get that roller coaster feeling.

Do you believe in love at first sight? Has it ever happened to you? Or do you believe in friends first?

One lucky commenter will get a copy of J.K. Coi's Immortal Kiss in PDF.
I love, love, love that book!

ImmortalKiss



Kimber Chin writes contemporary romances set in the sexy world of business. Why? Because men in suits are hot, hot, hot! She also gives away her favorite romance eBooks every month on
http://businessromance.com/

LadyVampire: "I'd like to thank you Kimber Chin for taking time out to come and be the very first author to guest post on my blog. Your books are amazing and you yourself are phenomenal! Thank you for being here and I hope you'll stop by again very soon as it was such a pleasure having you here. :)
I hope everyone will stop by Kimber Chin's site and have a look at all the great books she has out. There are even some freebies listed and a contest.
And Kimber's contest is open to everyone to enter. This contest will run until August 1st."

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger J.K. Coi said...

I love that story about you and your hubby! For me it was love at first "maim". LOL

I'd known my future-husband for about a month. It was February. A bunch of us (all single) had gone to Niagara Falls on Valentine's day. Ice from the mist of the Falls coated everything including a thick layer on the railing of a stairwell. Hubby did a karate kick on the stairwell (don't ask why) and suddenly what had to be 20 lbs of solid ice came sliding down the railing right onto my leg!

He felt sooooo bad! He helped me hobble back to the car while the others continued on their walk along the Falls. Then he sat with me and talked. We lost track of time until we realized that it had been more than an hour before the others returned. You know what I remember from that discussion? Hubby telling me that he liked being single, that he didn't want a relationship---he he he. We were dating within the month. :)

7/25/2009 9:46 AM  
Blogger Cathy M said...

Hey, I am a romance reader, of course I believe in love at first sight, and HEA too, lol.

7/25/2009 3:14 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Hi Kimber,
Congrats on the new release. I'm not sure I believe in love at first sight. I do believe in lust at first sight. I think you have the know the person before you can love them. I already have a copy of "Immortal Kiss."

7/25/2009 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Witchy Woman said...

Kimber I love this post & your writing as well...Here's my take.
Then:
I had come off a bad relationship & swore them off.Signed up for college; on my 1st class of the 1st semester became friends with a guy in the class.Now: We just celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary. We got along so well that I sort of knew--this was it. "Love At 1st Sight"
witchywoman064@yahoo.com

7/25/2009 8:04 PM  
Blogger eihpos said...

I have to say I'm a cynic too, but since you've shared your story, I guess I ought to keep an open mind!

By the way, just want to say I love your books, Kimber. Keep up the good work!

7/25/2009 10:27 PM  
Blogger Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

OMG... LadyVampire.. Kimber is an amazing author!! I absolutely love her work!! I am so glad that she came to your place!

Do I believe in love at first sight... I am not sure; I use to think that, then the real world hit me in the head. lol! The romantic in me believes that it does happen. The cynic in me says otherwise. I guess I just have not been around anyone that has had it happen to them to see it. But my heart does long to see it happen to those around me that have not found the right love yet!

7/26/2009 10:21 PM  
Blogger lxz said...

Another cynic here, but I guess I don't care how it happens, as long as it's HEA.

7/29/2009 7:22 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

J.K., you always have the best stories!

Sometimes I think it helps to get to that point where you're fine without a relationship. You stop looking so hard for love and then, bam, you find it!

7/29/2009 9:49 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

Cathy,

You know for the longest time I read romance but I didn't believe in love at first sight. Sort of how I'll read vampire novels and not truly believe in vampires.

I DO believe in ghosts though 'cause I've seen them but that's a post for another day.

7/29/2009 9:50 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

Jane,

I'll sub in another book for Immortal Kiss if (when?) you win. I have a long list of books I'd love to share with you.

I thought exactly how you do. It was a bit embarrassing to admit otherwise. So many people said 'oh, yeah, like THAT'S going to last.' I only started to get vocal about it after we'd been together for a decade.

7/29/2009 9:53 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

Witchy Woman,

Maybe we should do another post on those who had sworn off relationships and then found love. The more I talk to people, the more that seems to be a trend.

When it is right, it is right, no matter how it comes about.

7/29/2009 9:54 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

Dawn, you are a sweetie!

Actually it sounds like, if you're looking for love, you should NOT believe in love at first sight or even relationships. LOL Too funny!

7/29/2009 9:55 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

Cecile, you are so wonderfully supportive of new authors!

As is Lady Vampire.

How could we NOT visit you? Readers willing to try a new author are so rare. Like those treasures dragons protect.

Hhhmmm... don't get me started on dragon romances. Yum!

7/29/2009 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great story. So nice to hear real stories of true love isn't it!!!I have to be honest and I am not a true believer as much as I would like, but to hear about someone else's true romantic love helps sway me to the other side!

7/29/2009 8:08 PM  
Blogger host said...

Great story Kimber! I believe in love at first sight - I've been with that first-sight person for 12years now. So you can't say it doesn't happen :)

7/30/2009 3:56 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

lxz,
I hear you about being a cynic.
If I read this post 17 years ago,
I would have thought
'what a load of dookey!'
I questioned that love, period, existed.
But it does, strangely enough

7/30/2009 11:02 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

Ahhh... Ocean,
I see I have a friend stuck in the matrix with me.
Follow the white rabbit, girl.

7/30/2009 11:04 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

Book junkie,

I think love at first sight is one of those things you have to experience to believe.

I also believe that someone, whoever you choose that someone to be, has a sick sense of humor and picks the most jaded, cynical of us to 'bless' with the love at first sight phenom. I reckon it is to ensure we look like the fools we are.

7/30/2009 11:06 AM  
Blogger Kimber Chin said...

Yay Host!
Another love at first sight buddy!
Do you feel a bit foolish telling folks that's how it happened?
I sure do sometimes.

7/30/2009 11:07 AM  
Blogger lxz said...

Kimber,

Methinks I'm still at the "I questioned that love, period, existed" stage.

But I like what you said to Book Junkie
"I also believe that someone, whoever you choose that someone to be, has a sick sense of humor and picks the most jaded, cynical of us to 'bless' with the love at first sight phenom. I reckon it is to ensure we look like the fools we are."

So maybe there's still hope.

BTW, I love the short story "The Rookie" on your blog. Very sweet and funny. But then the cynic in me thinks maybe that's why it's fiction because it couldn't possibly happen in real life.

8/03/2009 7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty nice blog you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. BTW, try to add some pics :).

1/21/2010 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home